During increased weather conditions, there are signs placed on highways and freeways to warn high profile vehicle drivers. The signs are to warn them of high winds and adverse weather conditions, but what is a high profile vehicle?
Let’s put the record straight, high profile vehicles are not expensive or luxury–looking vehicles such as the Audi S7 or a Bugatti Chiron. Even though these vehicles are top–tier vehicles, they are not high profile vehicles in the context. The word, “High Profile Vehicle” is a term used for a specific set of vehicles that are susceptible to sudden gusts of wind.
So, to answer your question . . .
What is a High Profile Vehicle?
A high profile vehicle is a big vehicle. They’re vehicles like Pickups, RVs, SUVs, and other vans like the Scooby van, etc. These vehicles have great height and weight, they’re what is termed high profile vehicles. Even as rugged, hefty, and agile as they seem to appear, they’re susceptible to crosswinds.
Don’t be mislaid to thinking that they’re luxury vehicles, rather, they’re vehicles with large sides and can travel at fast speed. Due to this, they can be overthrown by crosswinds.
Though, every high profile vehicle has a kind of wind that can throw them over depending on their center of gravity, weight, and wind speed. When traveling in a windy area, high profile vehicle should regulate their speed. It‘s better to travel within the speed limit.
During inclement weather, almost all states in the US have their weather warning for high profile vehicles. If the wind level is fast rising, some states will ban the traveling of high profile vehicles.
What Are The Major Concerns For High Profile Vehicles??
Why high profile vehicle drivers should be worried because these gusts of winds can propel from any angle. They don’t send any signal before emanating from any angle with their destructive wind power.
High winds are winds that range over 30mph or above 50km/h or a 7 on the Beaufort Wind Force Scale. Other troubles that high winds can pose to high-profile vehicles are:
Powerful winds can throw all forms of debris it can carry into freeways. Even tree branches, pieces of gravel, and other dangerous–looking materials. Though, when driving at low speed, these items may constitute less problem. But for high profile vehicle that travels at high speed, can be turned over by these objects.
High winds can knock down trees from the side of the road to cause an accident to fast traveling vehicles. Some high profile vehicles with narrow sides will adversely be knocked over by high winds.
Powerful winds during rainy weather are more dangerous to high profile vehicles and can cause the driver to lose control.
To prevent road accidents during high winds with your high profile vehicle, weigh down the vehicle. There are other safety methods to discuss below.
Drive High Profile Vehicle Cautiously During High Winds
You should consider driving high profile vehicle during high winds as when you drive in winter. Always make use of low gears and don’t accelerate the car often, be on alert and ready to maneuver should anything occurs.
Other safety measures for driving high profile vehicles are:
1. Look out for weather reports: The U.S. National Weather Service always updates the public on weather conditions and advisories. Check their wind reports to know how to travel with your high profile vehicle.
2. Practice basic driving safety: To do this, hold the wheel strongly with both hands in the 9 and 3-o’clock positions, this is a defensive driving style. And make use of your seat belt when driving.
3. Stay well below the speed limit: As a high profile vehicle driver, during such adverse weather conditions. It’s necessary to drive below or stay at the speed limit. Driving at the speed limit will help you have firm control of the vehicle during a windy session.
4. Turn on your headlights if the winds move with dust: If the weather effects cause low visibility, you should put up the headlights. It will help prevent accidents and allow you to see things on the road.
5. Watch out for other high profile vehicles: Expect that other high profile vehicles are using the way. So, being careful of them, especially the ones towing cargo like 18-wheelers, tow trucks, or trailers will prevent a collision. This cargo can be thrown away by high winds if the high profile vehicle is traveling at a fast speed.
6. If you find yourself caught in a side wind: When caught by the side of the wind, to prevent turning over, steer in the opposite direction. Also, don’t steer the wheel with force as it can turn the vehicle over, be gentle.
Safety Options That A High Profile Vehicle Can Leverage?
Safety driving precautions are the same in all vehicles. Though, high profile vehicles have more attention during adverse weather. This is because they’re susceptible to high winds.
After all, they travel at high speeds. High profile vehicle comes with advanced technological features like ABS, many airbag systems, brakes, and even an air brake system. These features help them maintain balance when off-roading or driving at high speed.
You should have known that high profile vehicle is not such luxurious or expensive vehicles. But vehicles with heights and wide sides can be thrown over by powerful winds. It is important to drive at the speed limit when driving high profile vehicles and not to run over items on the road.
These can turn your vehicle over if you’re traveling at high speed. Always apply caution and watch out for other road users when traveling to prevent any form of accident or collision.