Most drivers have been greeted with the message “Stop vehicle leave engine running” or “Stop the vehicle, shift to P, leave the engine running”. The information is vital as the content it reads.
As a driver, seeing this message, you should pull over and leave your engine running to prevent the car from automatically going off while you’re away from the seat. The frequent cause of this message is your ignition system.
It can also signify a bigger issue with your vehicle. New Mercedes-Benz C-class cars W205 S205 A205 C205 S-class W222 A217 C217 or GLC X253 and C253, display this message when the fuel filter is faulty.
Since this error has not just been witnessed in one model of the car, it can also occur in any vehicle programmed with error detection and may not display the same information as seen on Mercedes-Benz.
The first approach to this is to pull over your car and leave the engine ON and let re-charge batter or maybe any special battering recharging tool to recharge the main starter battery. If this couldn’t solve the problem, read ahead to find the root cause and resolve it.
What Causes the Stop Vehicle Leave Engine Running Message?
1. When this message appears, stop your car and shift the gear from D to P
Allow your car to steam with the engine ON for about 20 – 30 minutes because the most cause of this error message is when the battery is drained or excessive use of car accessories like radio, headlight, AC, etc., and to allow the car re-charge its battery will fix the error.
Or, assuming you’re traveling and this occurs, your best option is to get to the highway and drive as fast as you can to let the battery recharge. But be mindful of your speed limit and your car’s mechanical state.
2. Recharging and or replacing the main battery
The most fault could be from the main starter battery A0009823108 which needs to be recharged or replaced. The starter battery is the major cause of this error on C-class W205 S205 A205 C205 E-class W213 S213 C238 A238 S-class W222 A217 C217 GLC X253 Hatchback and GLC C253 Coupe vehicles.
3. How much does a Mercedes battery cost?
If you identified the cause of the error message as the fault of the starter battery, then you should consider buying a new battery. A Mercedes-Benz battery costs between $45 to $250 depending on the quality and capacity of the battery, even the size.
How much is the battery for a Mercedes C300?
For those living in Germany, the USA, the UK, Italy, Spain, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand the “Stop Vehicle Leave Engine Running” or “Stop the vehicle, shift to P, leave the engine running” could be displayed as follows:
- Stop Vehicle Shift To P leave engine running
- Stop vehicle leave engine running
- Detener el vehiculo Acoplar P No apagar el motor
- Fahrzeug anhalten Fahrstufe P einlegen Motor laufen lassen
- Arrestare la vettura Innestare rapporto P Lasciare acceso mot. Motore
- Stands bilen Skift til P Lad Motoren kore
Common Causes Of Stop Vehicle Leave Engine Running
- If the engine is off and the ignition is running, it can cause this.
- If your interior or exterior car light is left on for a longer period.
- When your car suffers from a parasitic current draw, it can automatically drain your battery.
- If your battery cell life span has depleted, and can’t hold a charge anymore.
- Using too many cars accessories
- If your alternator or voltage regulator is faulty.
- When your battery terminal is loose
- Your car Serpentine belt is damaged or off.
- Leaving the lights on or excessive usage of accessories
- If you’re a type who usually forgets to turn off your car lights whether the interior or exterior, this can hamper your auxiliary battery and drain its capacity.
- Another cause of this is the use of car accessories always. Maybe you enjoy playing music, charging your device on your car, and all that, but you should consider the effect on your car’s auxiliary battery.
A parasitic drain
A parasitic drain is another huge factor that can automatically drain your car’s auxiliary battery within minutes. This can occur when your car accessories keep drawing current from your auxiliary battery or the main battery when you have removed the key from the ignition.
Small parasitic drain can occur an umpteenth time when your battery is trying to save your radio pre-sets, keep the time accurate, and operate security thereby sending current to the accessories. When your vehicle’s electronic systems are bad, they can draw huge currents from the battery, draining it quickly even when the car is turned off.
A defective alternator
Another cause of this error is the bad alternator. A faulty alternator will cause your battery to fail and trigger the “Stop Vehicle Leave Engine Running” error message. The alternator is to produce power for car systems by converting the power derived from the car’s engine into electrical power.
With this, it recharges the auxiliary battery and supplies current to it when it’s been used. When you notice your car’s light blinking or flickering or the error message above, check your alternator as it could be the cause.
Sometimes, the error could be from your battery. Try to recharge your main battery to see if this error could be fixed before opting to buy a new one.
It is not surprising that replacing the A0009823108 battery can fix this error. Though, you should make sure to fix your car brand battery with the same capacity or the compatible one.
Part numbers and compatible cars
We have listed all compatible part numbers and Mercedes-Benz cars collected in course of providing this guide.
Main battery part numbers:
- A000 982 31 08
- Mercedes Benz compatibility list:
- C Cass W205 Saloon Sedan
- C Class S205 Estate Touring
- C Class A205 Cabriolet Convertible
- C Class C205 Coupe
- C Class 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018
- C Class C180 C200 C220d BlueTec C250d C300 C350 C350e C400 C450
- C43 C450 C63 AMG 4Matic
- E Class W213 S213 A238 C238.
- S class W222 A217 C217.
- GLC X253 Hatchback C253 Coupe GLC250 GLC300 GLC63 AMG.
Poor maintenance and installation
Finally, when you don’t maintain your car properly or there is an installation error of any part, this could trigger the error message. If your new A0009823108 battery is already displaying such an error message, then it has been wrongly installed.
Also, in maintaining your car, ensure that your battery terminals are clean and not rotted by the white acidic discharges seen on them. Clean them off to allow smooth transmission of current from the battery.
Furthermore, the error could mean something bigger than just a parasitic drain or what we have discussed above like a big car electrical wiring fault. If none of the options above could solve the issue, consider sending your car to an experienced mechanic to diagnose and fix your car.